IRCTC, the catering and tourism arm of Indian Railways, will resume meal service on all trains before February 14. As Covid-19 cases appear to be declining across the country, the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) has decided to resume service of cooked meals on board all trains, the Railway said. However, IRCTC employees will adhere to Covid-19 safety guidelines and protocols. The decision has been a welcome relief for long-distance travelers: this decision would now allow them to have fresh meals during their trip.
The Railways had discontinued catering services on trains as part of the security measures adopted by the national carrier in the face of the pandemic. The measures have been in place since March 2020. IRCTC has gradually restored services.
News agency AND ME it quoted a communication from Indian Railways that said meal services had been restored on 80 per cent of trains by January this year. The remaining 20 percent of the trains will begin offering meal services on February 14, he added.
In December last year, meal services were restored on premium trains such as Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto.
Some, who have traveled on trains that already offer the renewed service, shared their experience on social networks.
Very satisfied with the service!! And I really like the new look and cleanliness.
Good food service by Manish Rathore. @IRCTCofficial traveling by MMCT NZM AK (12953) A3 coach.
—Priyanka rodricks (@Priyankarodrick) February 11, 2022
Another traveler thanked the Railways for the improved services. The user said that he was traveling from Varanasi to New Delhi. “It is one thing to say that the service, the behavior are top notch. In fact, I’m very glad to see that. And the quality of the food is very good and hygienic too. Thank you,” he said.
hi indian railway
My PNR NO. 6826171668
i am traveling from varanasi to new delhi
It’s one thing to say that the service and behavior are top notch… In fact, I’m really glad to see that… And the quality of the food is so good and hygienic too… Thank you.— Vikash (Ankel Kruch ) ( @AnkelKruch) February 12, 2022
Indian Railways has been striving to improve its services and passenger comfort for some time.