FA Cup: West Ham, Chelsea come from behind to oust lowly opponents


As the FA Cup fourth round match went into injury time, West Ham faced a humiliating defeat at sixth-tier Kidderminster.

Alex Penny had scored in the 19th minute for the Nationwide North third-place team who were edging out London millionaires who are just one point off the Champions League places in the Premier League.

Only Declan Rice’s equalizer forced the game into extra time to prevent West Ham from being the recipient of the biggest upset in the 150 years of world football’s oldest competition.

Then to avoid a penalty shootout in the center with a capacity of 6,000 England at the stadium, Jarrod Bowen scored in extra time injury time to recover a 2–1 win against the team 113 places lower in the English league system.

“It’s the magic of the cup, isn’t it? With two minutes to go, I was buying it,” said Kidderminster manager Russ Penn. “Things like this don’t happen in other countries. is something special

“I thought there would be another chance, but scoring from that chance was heartbreaking. I thought they would blow us away in extra time, but they didn’t. I am devastated by the boys. They’re crawling around the dressing room. They were increasing the pressure, but it was unfortunate that they scored from the last phase of the game.”

Chelsea survives the scare

It was also a struggle in London for European champions Chelsea, who needed to come from behind to eliminate third-tier Plymouth 2-1 after extra time at Stamford Bridge to reach the fifth round.

Macaulay Gillesphey headed Plymouth into an early lead and Cesar Azpilicueta leveled with a fine backheel just before halftime.

But Chelsea couldn’t find a winner within 90 minutes. Even after Marcos Alonso scored late in the first half of extra time, Plymouth still had a chance to level.

But goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga was spot-on to save a late Ryan Hardie penalty after Malang Sarr fouled the Plymouth striker.

The joy of Lampard’s debut

Sacked by Chelsea a year ago, Frank Lampard began his return to management at Everton with a 4-1 victory over Premier League rivals Brentford. Yerry Mina’s headed goal was the first time Everton had taken the lead in a match since October under Rafa Benítez.

After Richarlison doubled Everton’s lead shortly after half-time, Ivan Toney pulled one back for the west London club with a penalty. However, Mason Holgate’s first goal since December 2020 secured Everton’s progress to the round of 16 to prompt chants of “Super Frankie Lampard” from all four sides of Goodison Park. The mood was further lifted by substitute Andros Townsend’s goal in stoppage time.

Manchester City beat Fulham

Manchester City were stunned when Fabio Carvalho put Fulham ahead after four minutes, but the Premier League champions quickly equalized through Ilkay Gundogan and eliminated the second-tier side. City goalkeeper Zack Steffen avoided fitting in again on his return after a month out with a back injury that prevented him from playing in the World Cup qualifiers in the United States.

John Stones headed City before a brace from Riyad Mahrez, the first from a penalty, to seal a 4-1 victory.

Kane stars in Tottenham’s win

Harry Kane scored twice, on either side of Solly March’s own goal in the first half, in Tottenham’s 3–1 win over Brighton. Tottenham manager Antonio Conte was able to field new signings Dejan Kulusevski and Rodrigo Bentancur in the second half.

Southampton came from behind against second-tier Coventry to take the game into extra time. Kyle Walker-Peters pulled off a 2-1 win for the Premier League side.

Norwich reached the fifth round for the second time in a decade when Kenny McLean’s header secured a 1–0 victory over Wolverhampton.

American forward Josh Sargent was in Norwich’s starting line-up, then was pulled before kick-off due to illness.

First-half goals from Marc Guehi and Michael Olise gave Crystal Palace a 2–0 victory over Hartlepool.


Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here