Clinical Korea beat Philippines 2-0, enter maiden final of AFC Women’s Asian Cup


A clinical Korea dominated proceedings to beat the Philippines 2-0 in the semi-finals and advance to their first game at the top of the AFC Women’s Asian Cup here on Thursday.

Cho So-hyun and Son Hwa-yeon scored first-half goals as Korea ended a brilliant run for the Philippines, who were making their first semi-final appearance in the continental showpiece at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex.

Korea will face the winner of the second semi-final between champion Japan and former champion China in the final on Sunday.

However, the Philippines can be proud of their efforts as they gave their all in the match and can look forward to a maiden appearance at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand. All Asian Cup semi-finalists qualified directly for the World Cup.

Korea, who had beaten pre-tournament favorites Australia in the quarterfinals, wasted no time applying pressure from the get-go and opened the scoring in the fourth minute when Cho headed Kim Hye-ri’s corner kick that she overtook Philippine goalkeeper Olivia McDaniel.

Eager to impress in their first semi-final appearance, the Philippines were undeterred by the initial setback and Sofia Harrison’s attempt from distance six minutes later showed they meant business.

The Taeguk Ladies, however, continued to hold most of the possession and came close thanks to Son Hwa-yeon’s efforts in the 15th and 19th minutes, but McDaniel’s sure hands kept the Philippines in the game.

Despite having to play on the counterattacks, the Philippines had their moments with Katrina Guillou giving the Koreans a scare in the 24th minute when her long-range shot missed by inches.

However, Korea looked dangerous every time they advanced and doubled their lead in the 34th minute when the unmarked Son finished off a cross from Choo Hyo-joo.

Philippines head coach Alen Stajcic sent in Malea Louise Cesar, Chandler McDaniel and Sara Castaneda at the start of the second half, but the changes had little effect as Korea goalkeeper Kim Jung-mi was barely put to the test. proof.

It was harder for Korea to find chances in the second half as the Philippines kept their defense compact, but they nearly found a goal in the 67th minute when Son came to the end of a flurry of passes only to fire straight at McDaniels.

Korea continued to attack the Philippines goal with Cho and substitute Lee Min-a entering the thick of the action in the final 15 minutes, but they were unable to keep their shots on target.

Lee should have scored the third in the 87th minute after running past two defenders to catch a pass in the final third, but McDaniels stood his ground to deny it.


Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here